Grizzly Gulch Fire - 11:00 a.m. (MT) update - Thurs. July 4
GRIZZLY GULCH FIRE UPDATE
Thursday, July 4, 2002
For Immediate Release
For More information: 605-578-3143 or 605-578-1368
On the web: http://www.state.sd.us and click on “Grizzly Gulch Fire” for Fire News or click on “State News Web” for both fire and other news.
Fire Size: 10,622 acres
Location: South of Deadwood and Lead, South Dakota
Percent Contained: 50%
Expected Containment Date: Tuesday, July 9, 2002
Current Situation: Strong winds are expected to travel south to southeast at 15 to 20 mph this morning, but are expected to reduce in intensity to 5 to 15 mph by this afternoon. The fire remains active along the east side of Pillar Peak and Two Bit Creek, and has spread on the northeast, east and south flanks. Fire continues to be active day and night, which includes torching, spotting and moderate runs. Fire crews are constructing lines on the northeast flank near Pillar Peak, on the east flank adjacent to the community of Galena and on the south flank where containment continues to be difficult. There is a fire weather watch in the area for today.
Personnel: Currently 743. Resources include: three Type One crews, 15 Type Two crews, 65 engines, four air tankers, five helicopters, 10 dozers and 11 water tenders.
* As of (MT) the City of Lead has lifted the evacuation of Lead, except for the Mile High Area.
Evacuation orders in areas surrounding Deadwood include:
* South side of Radio Tower Road
* South of Boulder Canyon Road
* West of Vanocker Canyon road to Nemo road
* NE of Nemo
* Eastside of highway 385 from Nemo road to Boulder Canyon
* Highway 85 from Deadwood to Lead is open.
* Nemo road to Brownsville road open to local residents only.
* Rochford Road to 385 open to local residents only.
* Vanocker Road open without restrictions, but due to fire activity road blocks remain on the three main access points of Galena road, Kelly Spur and Nemo road, restricting traffic along these roads.
* US Highway 14A from west of the Shonley subdivision to the intersection of US Highway 14A and US Highway 85 in Deadwood.
* Camp Five Road and Two Bit Road off of Highway 14A.
* Highway 385 is closed from the Highway 85 junction to the Brownsville Road junction.
* Kirk Road is closed entirely.
* Yellow Creek Road remains closed entirely.
* Runkle Road is closed at the Vanocker Road Junction.
-- 30 --