Make Plans to Attend Special Events in South Dakota State Parks
PIERRE, S.D. – South Dakota state parks will be holding several special events the fourth weekend in June. The activities are a great way to spend a summer day. Make plans to attend the following events:
- Family Fun Days, Pickerel Lake Recreation Area near Waubay. Friday, June 22 through Sunday, June 24. Enjoy a fun-filled family weekend. There'll be lots of games and events for the whole family. Activities are held at the west campground. Info: 605-486-4753.
- Basic Birding, Lake Poinsett Recreation Area near Arlington. Learn about birds of the area while hiking the park trails. All ages welcome. Some binoculars will be available, but you're encouraged to bring your own. Saturday, June 23, 9 a.m. CDT. Info: 605-627-5441.
- Dutch Oven Gathering, North Point Recreation Area near Pickstown. Saturday, June 23, 10 a.m. CDT. Learn how to use a Dutch oven and try your hand cooking over a fire. Tasting the results is required! Info: 605-487-7046
- Crazy Critters of South Dakota, Pierson Ranch Recreation Area near Yankton. Saturday, June 23, 10 a.m. CDT. Come enjoy an educational program that centers on some of our crazy animal neighbors. Info: 605-668-2985.
- Mr. Drip’s Trip, Newton Hills State Park near Canton. Saturday, June 23, at 11 a.m. CDT. This fun activity will teach about all the places a single drop of water can travel over the course of 5,000 years. We will also talk about water conservation and how important our natural resources are while making a craft. This program qualifies as a Junior Naturalist Program. Info: 605-987-2263.
- Adventures Among the Clouds, Roy Lake State Park near Lake City. Saturday, June 23, 10 a.m. CDT. In this Jr. Naturalist program, participants will learn about the different types of clouds and when clouds are dangerous. Info: 605-448-5701
- A Walk on the Dark Side Night Hike, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton. Saturday, June 23, 10 p.m. CDT. Bring flashlights and lanterns as we learn about the night life of the Gavin's Nature Trail. Please meet at trail head and wear walking shoes. Info: 605-668-2985.
The programs are open to all ages. There is no charge to participate in the events; however, a park entrance license is required to enter the parks.
For more information on activities in South Dakota state parks, visit www.gfp.sd.gov or contact the individual park office or call 605-773-3391.