Upcoming S.D. State Park Programs Provide Family Recreation and Education
PIERRE, S.D. - Educational and recreational programming in South Dakota's state parks is increasing in the busy summer camping season. Several parks are offering programs allowing visitors to join a guided hike, cook over the campfire or enjoy a game of disc golf.
- Mountain Munchies Cooking Demonstration, Chief White Crane Recreation Areanear Yankton, Saturday, July 7 at 10 a.m. Learn basic outdoor cooking techniques to bring flavor to your fire ring. Enjoy samples and take recipes to use at your next mountain campfire. Info: 605-668-2985
- Beach Bash, Lake Vermillion Recreation Areanear Canistota, Saturday, July 7 at 10 a.m. CDT. Play games, do crafts and have some beach fun at Lake Vermillion Recreation Area. Info: 605-296-3643
- Patriotic Bike Parade, Oakwood Lakes State Parknear Volga, Saturday, July 7 at 10 a.m. CDT. We will provide some decorations, but you can bring your own, too. At 10:45 a.m., we'll travel through the park. Treats afterward! Info: 605-627-5441
- Geocaching 101, Newton Hills State Parknear Canton, Saturday, July 7 at 11 a.m. CDT. The park will provide GPS units for a lesson in the basics of geocaching. This will qualify as a Junior Naturalist Program. Info: 605-987-2263
- Independence Day Bike Parade, Newton Hills State Park near Canton, Saturday, July 7 at 4:30 p.m. CDT. The park will provide patriotic decorations to deck out your bike! Feel free to show your red, white, and blue spirit by bringing your own decorations as well. At 5 p.m., decorated bikes will be judged and two winners will be chosen to lead the bikes. The parade will loop through the campgrounds in celebration of our great nation's independence. Please remember to wear your helmets! Info: 605-987-2263
- Campfire Cookoff, Roy Lake State Parknear Lake City, Saturday, July 7 at 5 p.m. CDT. Bring your favorite meal made on the campfire or grill to share with other campers. Campers will vote for their favorite dish. Info: 605-448-5701
- Kids Patriotic Bike Parade, Snake Creek Recreation Areanear Platte, Saturday, July 7 at 7 p.m. CDT. Bring bicycles to an area near the Snake Creek entrance booth to decorate them in a patriotic theme. The park will provide all materials for the decorating. A short parade will take place through the north campground loop. Info: 605-337-2587
- West River Critters Hike, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton, Saturday, July 7 at 8 p.m. CDT. Learn about animals from the western part of the state on this hike along the Gavins Point Nature Trail. Info: 605-668-2985
All programs are free; however, a park entrance license is required to enter the parks. For more information on activities in the S.D. state parks, visit www.gfp.sd.gov, contact the individual park office or call 605-773-3391.