State Parks Feature Free Family Activities
PIERRE, S.D. – Visitors to South Dakota state parks will have the chance to take part in a variety of special family activities on Saturday, July 14. The free activities are a great way for people of all ages to enjoy the outdoors.
Make plans to attend the following events:
- Morning Masterpieces, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton, July 14, 10 a.m. CDT. Discuss wetland habitats and draw and/or watercolor what you see. What better way is there to remember your time outdoors than capturing it in art? Basic materials will be provided. Advanced painters may wish to bring their own supplies. Info: 605-668-2985
- Archery for Beginners, North Point Recreation Area near Pickstown, July 14, 10 a.m. CDT. Meet at the North Point rifle range to learn the basics of archery. Info: 605-487-7046
- Outdoor Cooking from A-Z,Oahe Downstream Recreation Area near Fort Pierre, July 14, 10 a.m. CDT. Visitors will learn basics of Dutch oven cooking and prepare a main dish, side dish, and dessert. Info: 605-223-7722
- Journey Through Time, Oakwood State Park near Volga, July 14, 10 a.m. CDT. Meet at Mortimer's Cabin for Dutch oven cooking demonstrations, pioneer crafts, and a history lesson about Oakwood Lakes. Info: 605-627-5441
- Catchin’ Critters, Roy Lake State Park near Lake City, July 14, 10 a.m. CDT. Learn the differences between reptiles and amphibians in this hands-on program. Info: 605-448-5701
- Un-nature Hike,Newton Hills State Park near Canton, July 14, 11 a.m. CDT. You will need a keen eye for this hike! It will start at the Woodland Trailhead on the lower road of the park. Hikers will be challenged to spot items that have been hidden, and do not belong on the trail. This will qualify as a Junior Naturalist Program. Info: 605-987-2263
- Family Sand Volleyball Tourney, Lake Thompson Recreation Area near Lake Preston, July 14, 3-8 p.m. CDT. Gather your teams and join us on the beach for a day of fun in the sun. Call the park to register your teams before Friday, July 13. Info or register: 605-847-4893
- Dutch Oven Gathering, Big Sioux Ranch Recreation Area near Brandon, July 14, 3:30 p.m. CDT. Area Dutch oven cookers will prepare and cook meals in Dutch ovens, including bread, soups, stews, desserts and more. There will be a campground potluck following the presentations at 6:30 p.m. Please bring a dish to share and join us! Info: 605-582-7243
- Lantern Tour of Fort Buildings,Fort Sisseton Historic State Park, July 14, 9 p.m. CDT. Tour historic Fort Sisseton by the light of a lantern. Learn about the people and events that make this historic site famous. Info: 605-448-5474
- Wet and Wild Hike, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area, July 14, 9 p.m. CDT. On this hike along Gavins Point Nature Trail, hikers will discuss some of the water inhabitants of the park. Wear good walking shoes. Children should be accompanied by an adult. Info: 605-668-2985
There is no cost to participate in any of the park programs; however, a park entrance license is required to enter most parks. The programs are held in addition to regular programs hosted by individual parks on summer weekends.
Participants are encouraged to wear comfortable walking shoes, dress for the weather, and remember to bring bug spray and plenty of drinking water.
For more information on S.D. state parks and a calendar of upcoming events, visit www.gfp.sd.gov or call 605-773-3391.