Home
About
Agencies
Agency RSS
Agency
Listservs
Archives
Multimedia
Subscribe
Contact

State Historical Society Awards Six Historic Preservation Grants





FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  June 1, 2016

CONTACT:  Jeff Mammenga, Media Coordinator, (605) 773-6000, Jeff.Mammenga@state.sd.us

 

State Historical Society Awards Six Historic Preservation Grants

PIERRE, S.D. -- Historic preservation projects in Elk Point, Groton, Keystone, Lead, Mobridge and Rapid City recently received matching grants from the South Dakota State Historical Society.

 

“This is the 19th year for this historic preservation grants program,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society. “In 2015 we awarded $113,744 between eight projects which will result in a total public-private investment of over $297,162. This program is designed to encourage restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties and is one more way we can promote and protect our history and culture.”

 

The grants are awarded through the State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program. Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state. The program is administered by the society’s State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre.

 

The following projects were the most recent to receive grants to supplement their work:

n  Elk Point: Murtha House, built in 1892, $3,752 for roof replacement

n  Groton: Trinity Episcopal Church, built in 1884, $9,000 for stained glass window rehabilitation

n  Keystone: Keystone Museum/Old Keystone School, built in 1900, $18,000 for roof replacement

n  Lead: Homestake Powder House, built in the late 1890s, $2,137 for repointing the structure

n  Mobridge: Mobridge Auditorium/Scheer-Howe Arena, built in 1936, $3,800 for foundation repair

n  Rapid City: Aby’s Feed and Seed, built in 1911, $15,000 for roofing, patching, interior work, painting and general rehabilitation

 

These new recipients represent a total award amount of $51,689 and public-private matching funds of $54,715.

 

Deadwood Fund grants are awarded twice a year with grant application deadlines of Feb. 1 and Oct. 1.  They are reviewed at the spring and winter meetings of the State Historical Society’s board of trustees. For more information on the Deadwood Fund grant program, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone (605) 773-3458; or website history.sd.gov/Preservation.

 

-30-

 

About the South Dakota State Historical Society

The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call (605) 773-3458 or visit www.history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call (605) 394-1936 for more information.