Home
About
Agencies
Agency RSS
Agency
Listservs
Archives
Multimedia
Subscribe
Contact

State Historical Society awards five historic preservation grants





FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  Feb. 13, 2017
CONTACT:  Jeff Mammenga, Media Coordinator, (605) 773-6000, Jeff.Mammenga@state.sd.us

State Historical Society awards five historic preservation grants

 

PIERRE, S.D. -- Historic preservation projects in Arlington, Delmont, Faulkton, Madison and St. Onge have received matching grants from the South Dakota State Historical Society.
 
“2017 is the 20th year for this historic preservation grants program,” said Jay D. Vogt, director of the State Historical Society. “In 2016 we awarded $108,204 between 11 projects which had matching funds of $291,301. The resulting total public-private investment is $399,505. This program is designed to encourage restoration or rehabilitation of historic properties and is one more way we can promote and protect our history and culture.”

The grants are awarded through the State Historical Society’s Deadwood Fund grant program. Funding for the program is from Deadwood gaming revenue earmarked by state law for historic preservation projects throughout the state. The program is administered by the society’s State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre.

The following projects were the most recent to receive grants to supplement their work:

  • Arlington: Arlington Community Museum, also known as the Arlington Masonic Temple, built 1907-1908, $2,378 grant awarded for roof replacement
  • Delmont: Thomas Lenehan House, or The Onion House, built 1902, $20,000 grant awarded for structural and roof repair of onion dome tower  
  • Faulkton: Pickler Mansion, built 1882-1894, $10,700 grant awarded for structural stabilization
  • Madison: Herschell-Spillman Steam Riding Gallery, also known as the Prairie Village Carousel, built sometime between 1901 and 1920, $20,000 grant awarded for wood and mechanical restoration
  • St. Onge: Anderson-Ridley Barn, built 1902, $3,437 grant awarded to repoint mortar on the barn


These new recipients represent a total award amount of $56,515 and matching funds of $236,586. The total public-private investment is $293,101. These figures are reflected in the 2016 statistics above.

Deadwood Fund grants are awarded twice a year with grant application deadlines of Feb. 1 and Oct. 1.  They are reviewed at the spring and winter meetings of the State Historical Society’s board of trustees. For more information on the Deadwood Fund grant program, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone (605) 773-3458; or website history.sd.gov/Preservation.

-30-

About the South Dakota State Historical Society
The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call (605) 773-3458 or visit www.history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call (605) 394-1936 for more information.