Construction of Highways 12 & 37 in Groton
For Immediate Release: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Contact: Robert Ward, 605/626/7885
ABERDEEN, S.D. – The South Dakota Department of Transportation says reconstruction of Highways 12 and 37 in Groton has begun with phases 1 & 2.
The planned improvements for the project include new surfacing, curb and gutter, storm sewer, sidewalk, lighting and traffic signals.
The six phases of construction established for this project are as follows:
- Phases 1 & 2: Install traffic control on Highway 12 to move westbound traffic into a two-way traffic configuration in the eastbound lanes to allow for construction of the westbound lanes.
- Phases 3: Install traffic control on Highway 12 to move all traffic into the westbound lanes to allow for construction of the eastbound lanes. Place asphalt concrete on Brown County 12E to use as detour for southbound traffic using Highway 37.
- Phase 4: Install traffic control on Highway 12 moving eastbound traffic to the outside eastbound lane and westbound traffic to the outside westbound lane to allow for construction of the center lane. Use Brown County 12E as a detour for southbound traffic using Highway 37.
- Phase 5: Install traffic control on Highway 37 to allow for the construction. Use Brown County 12E as a detour for southbound traffic using Highway 37.
- Phase 6: Beginning of the project south of the railroad tracks to East Railroad Avenue will be built under construction. Traffic will be controlled by flaggers and a pilot car and the detour route will still be utilized.
The construction operations will reduce traffic to one lane in each direction on Highway 12. Highway 37 will be closed with a detour route for phases 3 through 6. Flaggers will be present at different times during construction.
This work is part of a $5.1 million contract with Webster Scale, Inc. to do repair work on Highway 12 and Highway 37 in the Aberdeen region.
The project has an interim completion date of July 1, for work on Highway 12 and a substantial completion date of Oct. 15, for all work excluding permanent pavement markings and erosion control. The overall completion date is Nov. 1.
The public is invited to attend weekly meetings to discuss progress and sequencing.
Meetings will be held every Thursday at 1 p.m. at the Groton Community Center located at 109 N. 3rd St.
For complete road construction information, visit www.safetravelusa.com/sd or dial 511.
- 30 -