Home
About
Agencies
Agency RSS
Agency
Listservs
Archives
Multimedia
Subscribe
Contact

Oahe Chapel near Pierre to host Sunday church services





FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 17, 2018

CONTACT: Jeff Mammenga, Media Coordinator, 605-773-6000, Jeff.Mammenga@state.sd.us

 

Oahe Chapel near Pierre to host Sunday church services

 

PIERRE, S.D. – Sunday morning church services at the historic Oahe Chapel overlooking Lake Oahe near Pierre will begin on May 27. Visitors to the area, as well as local residents, are invited to attend.

 

Public ecumenical services are held at 8 a.m. CDT each Sunday through Labor Day.  The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804. Services are hosted by the Pierre-Fort Pierre Ministerial Association and the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society.

 

Churches participating in the 2018 Sunday services include the following:

 

May 27           First Congregational United Church of Christ

June 3            New Life Assembly of God, The Blood Washed Band

June 10          First United Methodist Church

June 17          Oahe Presbyterian Church

June 24          First Baptist Church

July 1             Trinity Episcopal Church

July 8             St. Peter's Episcopal Church

July 15           Pastor Roger Easland

July 22           First Baptist Church

July 29           Lutheran Memorial Church

Aug. 5            First Congregational United Church of Christ

Aug. 12          New Life Assembly of God, The Blood Washed Band

Aug. 19          Pastor Roger Easland

Aug. 26          Southeast United Methodist Church

Sept. 2           Trinity Episcopal Church

 

The Oahe Mission was established in 1874 by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel, built in 1877, was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. 

 

The chapel was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.

 

For more information on the Oahe Chapel summer services, the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society or how to rent the chapel, contact the State Historical Society at 605-773-3458.

 

-30-

 

Editor’s Note: Possible photo caption – The Oahe Chapel, built in 1877, sits atop the Oahe Dam five miles north of Pierre and will host Sunday morning church services again this summer. (Photo courtesy of South Dakota State Historical Society)

 

 

About the South Dakota State Historical Society

The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.