Home
About
Agencies
Agency RSS
Agency
Listservs
Archives
Multimedia
Subscribe
Contact

Two more state properties listed on National Register of Historic Places





FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 19, 2018

CONTACT: Jeff Mammenga, Media Coordinator, 605-773-6000, Jeff.Mammenga@state.sd.us

 

Two more state properties listed on National Register of Historic Places

 

PIERRE, S.D. – Two more South Dakota properties were recently added to the National Register of Historic Places, according to the South Dakota State Historical Society. 

 

The listed properties are the Hyde County Memorial Auditorium in Highmore and the Long View Stock Farm in the Gann Valley vicinity of Buffalo County.

 

The National Register is the official federal list of properties identified as important in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering and culture. The State Historic Preservation Office of the State Historical Society works in conjunction with the National Park Service, which oversees the National Register program, to list the properties. 

 

"South Dakota's history is rich in American Indian culture, pioneer life and change," said Jay D. Vogt, state historic preservation officer and director of the State Historical Society at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. "The more than 1,300 state individual properties and districts listed on the National Register are important for their role in South Dakota's culture, heritage and history. And when properties get listed, it shows that their owners take pride in their role in preserving that culture, heritage and history."

 

Buildings, sites, structures and objects at least 50 years old possessing historical significance may qualify for the National Register, according to Vogt. Properties must also maintain their historic location, design, materials and association. Listing on the National Register does not place any limitations on private property owners by the federal government. 

 

Following is more information about these newly listed properties.

 

Hyde County Memorial Auditorium, Highmore

The Hyde County Memorial Auditorium was built in 1951. Located on a corner lot northeast of the intersection of 2nd St. SW and Cummings Ave., it is listed in the National Register at a local level for entertainment, recreation and architecture.

 

The Memorial Auditorium was built to host many large community events, such as basketball games, concerts and theatrical events. Today, in addition to these activities, it also houses some of Highmore’s municipal offices.

 

The building is also a characteristic example of the transition between the Art Deco and Art Moderne styles of architecture in the early postwar era.

 

Long View Stock Farm, Gann Valley vicinity

The Long View Stock Farm is listed in the National Register as locally significant in the areas of Agricultural History and Architecture. The farm serves as a significant local example of an early 20th century stock farm in central South Dakota.

 

The one-and-a-half-story gambrel roof barn was built in 1917. With its triangular hay hood, one-story lean-to on the east elevation, and a one-story dairy shed on the west elevation, this is an archetypal example of the common South Dakota barn built in the early 1900s.

 

Most of the historic buildings were erected during the tenure of Ernest and Minnie Sinkie from 1910 to 1948. The barn, 1910 farmhouse, storm cellar, garden, two large chicken coops, garage and outhouse with their immediate setting illustrate the evolution of agriculture over the early 20th century in Buffalo County. The farmstead overall retains its setting, location, feeling and association as well as design, workmanship and materials. 

 

For more information on the National Register or other historic preservation programs, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458 or website history.sd.gov/Preservation (click on National Register of Historic Places in the right column).

 

-30-

 

About the South Dakota State Historical Society

The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.