Home
About
Agencies
Agency RSS
Agency
Listservs
Archives
Multimedia
Subscribe
Contact

BHSU President to Depart Spearfish Campus





             

 

News Release

Contacts: Janelle Toman, Director of Communications

janelle.toman@sdbor.edu

Tracy Mercer, Information Research Analyst

tracy.mercer@sdbor.edu

 

Telephone: (605) 773-3455

Fax: (605) 773-5320

www.sdbor.edu

 

 

 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  Wednesday, May 22, 2019

 

BHSU President to Depart Spearfish Campus

 

PIERRE, S.D. – Humboldt State University, an institution of the California State University system, announced today that Black Hills State University President Tom Jackson Jr. will become its next president in July.  

 

An interim president will be chosen soon to lead BHSU, while the Board of Regents commences a national search for the next permanent president at the Spearfish campus.

 

“We congratulate Dr. Jackson and wish him well at Humboldt State University,” said Paul B. Beran, the regents’ executive director and CEO. “The regents thank him for his service to South Dakota over the past five years.”

 

“We came to BHSU and Spearfish five years ago to build a stronger campus,” Jackson said. “It will always be a special place and an incredible university. We graciously thank the Board of Regents and the Spearfish community for allowing us this opportunity.”

 

Jackson was appointed the 10th president of BHSU on July 1, 2014. He came to the Spearfish campus from the University of Louisville, where he had served as vice president for student affairs from 2007 to 2014. He holds a doctorate degree in educational management from the University of La Verne in California.

 

As the state’s public liberal arts university in western South Dakota, BHSU delivers 80 associate, bachelor, and master’s degree programs at campus locations in Spearfish and Rapid City. About 75 percent of the student body is from South Dakota, representing all 66 of the state’s counties. The remaining 25 percent of BHSU students come from 43 other states and 29 countries.