Agency RSS

Residents and Business in Turner County Now Eligible for Disaster Assistance

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

DR-4440-SD NR-007

SDDPS: Tony Mangan (605) 773-6196

FEMA: News Desk (701) 681-1454


Residents and Business in Turner County Now Eligible for Disaster Assistance


PIERRE, S.D. – Homeowners, renters and business owners in Turner County may now apply for federal disaster assistance for uninsured and underinsured damage and losses resulting from the severe winter storms and flooding from mid-March to late April 2019.


Bennett, Bon Homme, Charles Mix, Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation, Dewey, Hutchinson, Jackson, Mellette, Minnehaha, Oglala Lakota, Pine Ridge Reservation, Rosebud Reservation, Todd, Yankton and Ziebach counties were previously designated for Individual Assistance, bringing the total to 13 counties and three reservations.


State and federal officials encourage those affected by the disaster to register for assistance immediately by calling toll-free 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585. The toll-free line is in operation from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. (local time) until further notice. Registration can be accomplished anytime at www.disasterassistance.gov or with a smart phone using the FEMA mobile app. The deadline to register is August 6.

Individuals can also register for assistance by visiting any of the five Disaster Recovery Centers that FEMA and the State of South Dakota have opened across the state. Additionally, Mobile Disaster Recovery Centers will be visiting five additional locations.  Find the nearest center at www.fema.gov/drc.


FEMA’s Individual Assistance program includes a wide range of aid, including emergency home repair, temporary disaster housing, replacement grants for serious disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other assistance programs. For those insured, the government may help pay for basic needs not covered by insurance.


Officials remind affected residents they must register with FEMA to be eligible for the full range of federal and state aid programs. Filing damage reports with state or county emergency managers or calling 2-1-1 does not start the federal disaster assistance process.


FEMA's mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.

The U.S. Small Business Administration is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955. TTY users may also call 800-877-8339. Applicants may also email DisasterCustomerService@sba.gov or visit SBA at www.SBA.gov/disaster.