Agency RSS

Register Now for Disaster Unemployment Assistance

July 12, 2019

DR-4440-SD NR-016

SDDPS: Tony Mangan (605) 773-6196

FEMA: News Desk (605) 323-6755



Register Now for Disaster Unemployment Assistance

PIERRE, S.D. – Farmers and ranchers, employees and self-employed individuals in 16 counties and reservations across South Dakota who are unable to work as a result of the severe winter storms and flooding from March 13 to April 26 may be eligible for disaster unemployment assistance. Funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency in coordination with the U.S. Department of Labor, the Disaster Unemployment Assistance program is administered locally.


The state Department of Labor and Regulation is accepting applications through Monday, July 15 from all counties and reservations (except Turner) that have been declared for Individual Assistance. For those in Turner County, the deadline is Friday, July 26. Individuals can register by calling the Claims Call Center (605) 626-3179, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. CDT. Specify that your claim is related to disaster unemployment and the severe storms that occurred between mid-March and late April.


Benefits are available for qualifying individuals in Bennett, Bon Homme, Charles Mix, Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation, Dewey, Hutchinson, Jackson, Mellette, Minnehaha, Oglala Lakota, Pine Ridge Reservation, Rosebud Reservation, Todd, Turner, Yankton and Ziebach counties.


Among the conditions for eligibility: Applicants must not qualify for regular unemployment benefits from any state.


For further information, go to the Department of Labor and Regulation’s DUA webpage at https://dlr.sd.gov/ui/individuals/dua.aspx. For a Fact Sheet on FEMA’s Disaster Unemployment Assistance program, go on the agency’s website to https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/24418.

# # #


FEMA's mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.


The U.S. Small Business Administration is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955. TTY users may also call 800-877-8339. Applicants may also email DisasterCustomerService@sba.gov or visit SBA at www.SBA.gov/disaster.