Home
About
Agencies
Agency RSS
Agency
Listservs
Archives
Multimedia
Subscribe
Contact

State Historical Society board approves 14 property tax moratorium applications





FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Jan. 7, 2022

CONTACT: Jeff Mammenga, Media Coordinator, 605-773-6000, Jeff.Mammenga@state.sd.us

 

State Historical Society board approves 14 property tax moratorium applications

 

PIERRE, S.D. — The South Dakota State Historical Society board of trustees recently approved 14 applications in five counties for the eight-year state historic preservation property tax moratorium for restoration and rehabilitation made to historic buildings.

 

“These approvals are significant because if a historic building qualifies for the tax benefit, an eight-year delay is placed on the property tax assessment of any certified improvements,” said Ted M. Spencer, State Historic Preservation Officer and director of the society’s Historic Preservation Office in Pierre. “Property tax assessments may not be increased due to certified rehabilitation of the building. The property tax moratorium is an incentive for owners of properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places to maintain and rehabilitate their homes and businesses.”  

 

One of the criteria for approval is that the projects must meet the U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation.

 

Of the 14 properties receiving the moratorium, 11 are private residences and the remaining three are or will be income-producing properties. In 2021, private investment per project ranged from $3,000 to $200,000; the combined private investment on all projects totaled $1.77 million.

 

The deadline for applications is Nov. 1 annually. For more information on how to qualify for the state historic preservation property tax moratorium, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458; or see history.sd.gov/preservation/fundingopportunities.aspx. For information on State Historical Society membership, call 605-773-6000 or visit history.sd.gov/membership.aspx.

 

Following is a list, by county, of the sites approved for the property tax moratorium.

 

Brookings County

The Caldwell House, located at 804 6th Ave. in Brookings, was constructed in 1902 and was individually listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. This is a previous project from 2020. Work in 2021 included construction of a new covered porch on the back entrance, refinishing of interior spaces including drywall, flooring, trim, and paint; installation of new cabinets, countertops, fixtures, and appliances in the kitchen; restoration of historic pocket doors, and restoration of the hardwood floors in the attic.

 

Lawrence County

The home located at 33 Taylor Ave. in Deadwood was built in the 1890s and is a contributing structure in the Deadwood Historic District, which was originally listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. This is a previous project from 2020. Work in 2021 included the removal of cyanide tins to install a waterproof barrier underneath and then the reinstalling of the tins, and the addition of gutters to the house.

The earliest built portion of the Byron P. Dague House, located at 29 Van Buren St. in Deadwood, was built in 1885. This is a new project that began in 2021. Work in 2021 included the removal of the aluminum siding which was replaced with new Diamond Kote lap siding, stabilization of the front porch and removal of its railing, replacement of two 1950s-era kitchen windows, replacement of the rotted 1950s-era back porch with a new concrete patio, replacement of the second-story storm window with a custom wood storm window, and the addition of decorative gable pediments.

 

The Gillette House, located at 20 Lincoln Ave. in Deadwood, was constructed in the 1880s and is a contributing structure in the Deadwood Historic District. This is a new project that began in 2021. Work in 2021 included the scraping and repainting of the exterior siding, the repairing and repainting of soffit, replacement of interior trim, and the removal and replacement of two wooden decks.

 

The exact date of construction of the house at 3 Shine St. in Deadwood is unknown. It is, however, a contributing structure to the Deadwood Historic District. This is a new project that began in 2021. Work in 2021 included the replacement of fiberglass shingles with asphalt shingles, replacement of the old gutters, repainting of the exterior brick, removal of the interior chimney which is still visible from the exterior, and removal of rotted floorboards and walls which were reframed and replaced.

 

The Kero Bath House in Lead, located at 326 White St., was constructed in the 1940s and is a contributing structure to the Lead Historic District. This is a new project that began in 2021. Work in 2021 included the restoring of exterior stucco, repairing of damaged windows and window trim, replacement of an upper-level door and repairing of a lower-level door, installation of a new electrical panel and wiring, installation of new fiberglass in the walls and ceiling, new plumbing and fixtures, new sheetrock in the walls, installation of new kitchen cabinetry and appliances, and the sagging ceiling was corrected and reinforced.

 

The exact date that the DuVal House, located at 614 Prospect Ave. in Lead, was constructed is unknown, but the earliest portion of the house dates to the 1910s. This house is a contributing structure to the Lead Historic District and is a new project that began in 2021. Work in 2021 included the repairing of cracked exterior siding, replacement of original windows with new ones to meet egress requirements, removal of the front deck, installation of a new electrical panel and wiring, replacement of old cast-iron piping with new plumbing and fixtures, installation of new kitchen cabinets and appliances, and new interior drywall was installed and painted.

 

The Putnam House, located at 324 White St. in Lead, was constructed in 1890. This house is a contributing structure to the Lead Historic District and is a new project that started in 2021. Work in 2021 included the repairing of exterior siding, caulking, painting, and glass replacement of damaged windows; removal of a non-historic deck, removal of the enclosed portion of the front porch, stabilization of the garage walls, installation of a new garage door, a new electrical panel and wiring, installation of new fiberglass in the walls and ceiling, installation of new bathroom and laundry plumbing, installation of new drywall, and plumbing upgrades in the kitchen.

 

The house located at 420 Mill St. in Lead was constructed in the 1890s and is a contributing structure to the Lead Historic District. This is a new project that started in 2021. Work in 2021 included the replacement of deteriorated asphalt shingles with new architectural landmark shingles, and replacement of the gutter apron, drip edge and vents.

 

Minnehaha County

The Odd Fellows House, located at 100 W 10th St. in Dell Rapids, was constructed in 1910 and was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2012. The work on the Odd Fellows House has been continuing for several years and is a previous project. Work in 2021 included the installation of a new roof membrane on the interior of the parapet wall to stop water infiltration on the laundry building. 

 

Pennington County

The Fairmont Creamery, located at 201 Main St. in Rapid City, was constructed in 1929 and was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places on Feb. 14, 2006. This is a previous project that started in 2020. Work in 2021 included the repairing and patching on the concrete steps, removal of a 1980s-era planter, and a removal of 1960s handrail.

 

The exact date of construction for the house located at 1518 West Blvd. in Rapid City is unknown but parts of the house date to the 1880s. This house is a contributing structure to the Rapid City Historic District and is a new project that started in 2021. Work in 2021 included the replacement of the deteriorating foundation, rotted floor joists, and decking.

 

The Hotel Alex Johnson, located at 523 6th St. in Rapid City, was constructed in 1928 and is a contributing structure to the Rapid City Historic District. This is a new project that began in 2021. Work in 2021 included the installation of new patio lighting at Paddy O’Neill’s Pub, the remodeling of restrooms in Starbucks, installation of new flooring in the fitness room, and installation of new lighting in the lobby.

 

Turner County

The Stidworthy-Kemper House, located at 218 N Main St. in Viborg, was constructed in 1910 to 1911. This house was listed in the South Dakota State Register of Historic Places in 2021. This is a new project that began in 2021. Work in 2021 included the replacement of deteriorated facia and soffit in-kind.

 

-30-

 

About the South Dakota State Historical Society

The South Dakota State Historical Society is a division of the Department of Education. The State Historical Society, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution since 2013, is headquartered at the South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. The center houses the society’s world-class museum, the archives, and the historic preservation, publishing, and administrative/development offices. Call 605-773-3458 or visit history.sd.gov for more information. The society also has an archaeology office in Rapid City; call 605-394-1936 for more information.