Agency RSS

Water/wastewater assistance available in South Dakota

For Immediate Release: Wednesday, August 10, 2022

DSS Media Contact: dssmedia@state.sd.us or 605.773.3165


Water/wastewater assistance available in South Dakota

PIERRE – Assistance for South Dakota families whose water/wastewater service has been disconnected or who are at risk of losing access to water service may be available through the Department of Social Services (DSS).


“Water/wastewater service is key to maintaining a habitable and healthy home,” said DSS Cabinet Secretary Laurie Gill. “If your service has been disconnected, you have been notified of pending service disconnection, or you have overdue water service bills, there may be help available.”


Water/wastewater assistance is available for low-income individuals and families. Eligibility is based on the number of people and income of everyone in the home.


Applications are being accepted now.


To apply, contact the Community Action Agency serving your county:


  • Inter-Lakes Community Action – Ph: 605.256.6518 (www.interlakescap.com) serves Brookings, Clark, Codington, Deuel, Grant, Hamlin, Kingsbury, Lake, McCook, Miner, Minnehaha, and Moody counties.

  • Grow South Dakota - Ph: 605.698.7654 (https://www.growsd.org/) serves Beadle, Brown, Campbell, Day, Edmunds, Faulk, Hand, Hughes, Hyde, McPherson, Marshall, Potter, Roberts, Spink, Stanley, Sully, and Walworth counties.

  • Rural Office of Community Services - Ph: 605.384.3883 (www.rocsinc.org) serves Aurora, Bon Homme, Brule, Buffalo, Charles Mix, Clay, Davison, Douglas, Gregory, Hanson, Hutchinson, Jerauld, Jones, Lincoln, Lyman, Mellette, Sanborn, Todd, Tripp, Turner, Yankton, and Union counties.

  • Western South Dakota Community Action - Ph: 605.348.1460 (www.wsdca.org) serves Bennett, Butte, Corson, Custer, Dewey, Fall River, Haakon, Harding, Jackson, Lawrence, Meade, Perkins, Oglala Lakota, Pennington, and Ziebach counties.

For more information about Energy and Weatherization Assistance, visit https://dss.sd.gov/economicassistance/energyassistance/.